A general meaning of term “Model” is a representation, generally in miniature, or to show the structure as a copy of something or typical form and style.
There several definitions of teaching model given by different educationist
- Nelson L Bossing (1970, P. 72) “Teaching model is a pattern or plan, which can be used to shape a curriculum or course, to select instructional materials and to guide a teacher’s action”.
- “It consist guidelines for designing educational activities and environment. It specifies was of teaching and learning that are intended to achieve certain kinds of goals”. Nelsons L Bossing
- According to Morse, “Models are prescriptive teaching strategies designed to accomplish particular instructional goals”.
- Robert S. Woodworth says “To confirm in behavior, actions and to direct one’s action according to some particular design or idea”.
- According to Filburt Highet, “It is a set of inter-related components arranged in a sequence which provide guidance to realize specific goals”.
How to use teaching models
- Teaching models specify the learning situations for observing the pupils response
- They help in realization of learning objectives
- They help the teacher in planning and organizing effective teaching by selecting appropriate content teaching strategies and audio visual aids in education
- They help in planning curriculum
Fundamental Elements of Teaching Model
Generally, there are five elements which are:
Focus: This element defines specific objectives of teaching learning process